ActivityWatch is an app that automatically tracks how you spend time on your devices.
It is open source, privacy-first, cross-platform, and a great alternative to services like RescueTime, ManicTime, and WakaTime.
It can help you keep track of time spent on different projects, kick bad screen habits, or just understand how you spend your time.
- Tracking: Tracks active application and window title by default, more with watchers.
- Categories: Get a better overview of your usage by defining categories just how you want them.
- Browser extensions: Track the active tab using the extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
- Editor plugins: Track how you spend time writing code with editor watchers.
- Privacy: Data is stored locally and doesn't leave your device, we put local and privacy first.
- Cross-platform: Runs on Windows, macOS, Linux, and Android.
Synchronization: Sync your activity between your devices.(We're working on it)
Why use it?
You can use ActivityWatch to:
- Keep a record of what you've been doing in life.
- Track how much time you've spent working on different projects.
- Manage your bad screen habits.
- Keep track of your productivity by measuring how much time you spend getting stuff done.
- Get an overview of which apps you use, videos you watch, music you listen to, and games you play.
- Figure out who creates the things you like, letting you know who to reward so that you can ensure they are incentivized to continue. (The mission of the Thankful project)
- Do cutting edge research on attention and productivity (if you're a researcher: contact us!)
- And more... (we keep being surprised)
Support the project!
ActivityWatch is built entirely by volunteers and relies on donations to keep development going. If it has helped you in any way, please donating.
About the maintainers
ActivityWatch is primarily being developed by Erik Bjäreholt and Johan Bjäreholt, with help from the community. We're two brothers who, among other things, like free and open-source software. We started building ActivityWatch because we thought something like it should exist (it didn't), so we built it ourselves.
We make practically no money from our work on ActivityWatch and have other things going on, like work and studies, that may cause development to slow at times. But with that in mind we think this is important software (if you agree, donate!) so we're building for the long term. Our goal is simply to build an as useful tool as possible for as many people as possible.
Many significant contributions have come from the community and we hope to see them increase over time. For details on who has contributed what and how much to ActivityWatch check out the contributor statistics.
Our other projects
Here's a spot for us to show off our other projects!
Support creators of free culture by directly sending them cryptocurrency.
Thankful uses data about websites you visit, music you listen to, videos you watch, and applications you use, and lets you support the creators of it by directly sending them cryptocurrency. For more, check out Thankful on GitHub.